The 2013 elections were most fair and satisfactory compared to recent elections. The primary reason is that constitution was suspended in both 2002 and 2008, which means that every governor, CM, ECP member, judges of Supreme Court and High Courts were handpicked by single person named Musharraf. Since he was also head of a political party PMLQ, therefore any layman would know this as a rigged arrangement even before poll.
Now coming to 2013, it was the first election that was held under constitution and full tenure of a civilian government to another. Every single doubt of Imran Khan was dealt with his satisfaction, even though it was constitutionally not required since he was not in assembly.
The following are the key elements that were completed as per full satisfaction of Imran Khan:
– All elections before 2013 did not have NADRA ID card as voter requirement. For first time in the history of Pakistan, the voter lists were prepared through computerized NADRA database with photographs and NIC numbers. The Election Commission ran vigorous campaign to urge people to verify their votes through SMS and/or through advertised locations
– Imran Khan was involved in Judicial Movement and had full trust in Judiciary led by Iftikhar Chaudhry
– Imran Khan welcomed the appointment of Fakhruddin Ibrahim as Chief Election commissioner and had full trust in him
– The voter turnout on 11th May 2013 was the highest in recent history of Pakistan
– The Prime Minister and 4 Chief Ministers were proposed by PPP, who was the main opponent of PMLN in last elections. Imran Khan himself met CM Najam Sethi and his expressed his confidence and trust in him in conducting free and fair elections. Unlike the federal and other 3 provinces, Punjab was the only province where the interim CM Sethi re-shuffled the entire bureaucracy of Punjab that was functioning under Shahbaz Sharif
– The returning officers that used to be from bureaucracy under command of Chief Executive were changed to Judges that reported to CJ on demand of Imran Khan.
– 2 Army officers were deployed on every sensitive polling station also demanded by Imran Khan
The reason Imran Khan lost elections is that he was only media hype. On ground, he did not have candidates on 50% seats of Pakistan. PMLN starting finalizing candidates 3 years before elections and Imran Khan was doing that just 10 weeks before poll and selling party tickets to highest bidders. Justice Wajiuddin report highlights these exact reasons why PTI lost elections.